Happy Memorial Day my Amazing Tribe!
I hope you all enjoy your meals and those meals serve you well! I had a lot of questions lately that had to do with mood issues, and I know it is completely reasonable at this time, granted we are all going through uncharted territory. Many are scared and confused. Many are having depressed thoughts, and many are paralyzed with fear. And while you are ready to jump for something to elevate your mood, to take the edge off the anxiety, and help deal with fear, I want you to keep in mind that the gut microbiome has to do with these feelings, too.
Having a healthy gut microbiome improves the balance between neurotransmitters. And as a result, your mood will improve to get out of your depressed state.
Movement is another big factor in improving your mood. The more you move, the greater release of endorphins. Endorphins interact with the receptors in your brain that also reduce your perception of pain. They also trigger a positive feeling in the body, like that of morphine.
While I mention all this, I hope you consider addressing more important things to elevate your mood and spirits such as: balancing gut microbiome, addressing hormone imbalance, exercising, and doing mind-body work, I did promise to highlight some supplements that can be temporary quick fixes to elevate your mood.
Natural supplements for elevating your mood and depressive moods:
- B vitamins:
- Vitamin B-12 and other B vitamins play a role in manufacturing brain chemicals that affect mood. Low levels of B-12 and other B’s such as vitamin B-6 and folate may be linked to depression.
- Zinc deficiency has been shown to induce depression-like and anxiety-like behaviors, supplementation has been used as a treatment for major depression. Zinc administration shows improvements while on antidepressant drugs in depressed patients compared without it.
- Vitamin C:
- Taking a vitamin C supplement might help your mood. A study of high school students indicated that vitamin C lowered anxiety levels, and other studies have shown mood-elevating effects from taking vitamin C.
- Omega 3:
- Omega-3s can help mild to major depression and even schizophrenia. We have a lot of great research on their heart benefits. Omega-3 fatty acids are emerging as an effective therapy for mood disorders ranging from major depression and postpartum depression to bipolar disorder.
- S-adenosyl methionine (SAM-e)—a naturally occurring compound in human cells that boosts mood-influencing brain chemicals like serotonin and dopamine.
- St. John Wort:
- Some research suggests that St. John’s wort can be as effective as antidepressants in treating mild to moderate depression — and has fewer side effects. Additionally, some evidence supports its use for the treatment of PMS, wound healing, and symptoms of menopause.
- Tyrosine is a popular dietary supplement used to improve focus and attention. It produces important brain chemicals that can regulate mood. Despite these benefits, supplementing with tyrosine can have side effects and interact with medications.
- Tryptophan is one of the essential amino acids. It does not get produced by our body and must come through food products rich in proteins. Some research suggests that a higher intake of tryptophan may improve social interactions by improving mood and decreasing aggression and dominant behavior.
- 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is an amino acid that your body naturally produces. It is used by your body to produce serotonin, a chemical messenger that sends signals between your nerve cells. Low serotonin levels are associated with depression, anxiety, sleep disorders, weight gain, and other health problems.
I have seen so many of my clients heal from chronic digestive symptoms and hormone problems. And case after case, I have seen them improve their mood as their gut was healing. Please, recognize it can be the root cause of your mood problems and consider taking the right steps.
Schedule an initial consult to learn what your healing path should be.
I have also created a basic Digestive Reset® gut protective bundle: it includes multi-strain professional-quality probiotics, l-glutamine for gut lining support and digestive support, enzymes with herbs combo for digestive and liver support and protein shake with curcumin and multivitamins. Shipping is Free within the US and Instructions are included. And you can Click To Purchase.