It’s the flu season. And many are reaching for natural prevention or treatment methods, and many have used herbal and natural supplements including vitamin C, Zinc, elderberry and others.
While I am a big fan of above mentioned supplements, I also know that those who are in a flare may not do very well with them, especially if you just buy store bought vitamins that were not recommended by a health care practitioner who knows your case.
There are options that are easier on the gut during the cold and flu season. And one of them is homeopathy.
Like vaccination, homeopathy seeks to stimulate the immune system. A vaccine contains a tiny amount of the pathogen that causes a certain disease. Principle of homeopathy: Substances of plant, animal or mineral origin that can cause symptoms of disease also can cure symptoms when given in the form of very highly diluted remedies.
Homeopathy is not a one-size-fits-all therapy. Rather, the remedy must be carefully matched to a person’s specific symptoms and his/her physical and mental reactions to these symptoms.
People who have colds or flu often respond to self-treatment using nonprescription homeopathic remedies sold in health-food stores and online. Paradoxically, the more dilute the potency, the greater the effect.
Remedies usually are sold as tiny pellets that dissolve under the tongue. Oils or other substances on your hands can inactivate pellets, so use a spoon to remove them from the container and place them in your mouth. Do not put anything else in your mouth for 30 minutes before or after taking a remedy.
Homeopathic remedies generally work quickly. Unless otherwise directed by your practitioner or product labels, follow these instructions…
- -If there is no change in symptoms after several hours, repeat the dose once more. If symptoms still do not change after several hours, try a different homeopathic remedy that corresponds to your symptoms.
- -If you feel somewhat better after taking a homeopathic remedy, repeat it at four-hour intervals until you feel significantly better, for a maximum of four doses in total.
- -Once you feel significantly better, do not take another dose. If symptoms return, repeat dosing according to the instructions above.
Products by Guna like Guna-Flu and Citomix are great during this season. Also, Elderberry syrup is such a great natural immune system support and anti-viral. And some forms of vitamin C can be easier on the tummy than others like liposomal vitamin C. Also, it’s so important to ensure adequate vitamin D levels during flu season, consider getting vitamin D supreme by DFH.
When to seek help: In some cases, patients need prescription-potency homeopathic remedies and/or conventional medical treatment. See your primary care practitioner if…
- -None of the remedies below seem appropriate for your specific symptoms.
- -You have tried three or four of the homeopathic remedies below without result.
- -You are over age 65 or have a chronic health problem.
- -You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Homeopathic options may be “the go to” for cold and flu if you are seeking more natural options, but the immune system needs to be addressed post virus or flu, and the right kind of detox ideally should be started even for those without gut and hormonal issues. Give your body a lot of rest, increase your warm liquids and consider safe detoxing. I wrote about a few different detoxing options in the previous newsletters.